A collaboration work with sound artist / experience designer YURI SUZUKI, selected by curator Paola Antonelli.
Paola lives in NY and YURI lives in London, so all the works were done online. Installing was done by Japanese team. Hosoi was in charge of sound.
The airport is where different languages and sounds meet. By using the universal medium, sound, we restructured Japanese language and distilled each sound of our mother tongue and separated them from the specific meaning of words. This represents Japanʼs soundscape the foreign visitors experience when they step into this country and also creates the unique soundscape of global languages through integrating each and every voice of the guests from all over the world. Audiences become important components of this work and with them, the whole airport can turn into one big installation.
To transform vision into sound, we turned to sound artist and designer, SUZUKI Yuri and to musical/sound artist and composer, HOSOI Miyu. In their concept, if different tongues can be walls between people, sound an instead build bridges by providing a soft landing‒‒especially for visitors coming from foreign countries, making them comfortable and gradually conversant with the new environment. Keeping the human voice at the core of their proposal, HOSOI and SUZUKI distilled the sounds of the Japanese language‒‒ distilled “Hiragana*” sounds, which consist of 46 base characters with 5 singular vowels, 40 consonant-vowel unions and 1 singular consonant‒‒ and created a unique composition in which the sound emanates from a choir of dozens of standing horns, that are conversing with each other like people waiting for friends and relatives in the Arrival Hall of an airport. (Paola ANTONELLI, Curator)
*Hiragana is the basic Japanese phonetic script. It represents every sound in the Japanese language.
- Haneda Airport Terminal 2, 2nd Floor Departures Lobby
- February 27, 2021 ~
- SUZUKI Yuri & HOSOI Miyu
- Paola ANTONELLI
- Technical Supervision
- ITO Yuya
- TABEI Katsuhiko
- UEDA Shinpei
- Technical Direction: HORIO Kanta
- Sound Playback Devices: SAITA Kazuki
- Manipulation Software: NIIMI Taiki
- Production: IDE Yusuke, FUTAGAWA Nana
- Gabriel VERGARA II
- SANO Makoto, SHIBUYA Kiyomichi, AKIYOSHI Kazuki, ISHIDA Akira, KIMURA Yusuke, SAKUMA Miwako, SHIRAHAMA Susumu, TANAKA Kei, FUJISAKI Ryoichi, MIKADO Takayuki, MUTO Takao, MORI Yoshihiro, and YAMAMOTO Tsutomu
- KRAFTWERK Inc.
- Brass Coating: SUGIMOTO Kazufumi
- Sanding: SANO Hidemitsu
- Coordination: HAYASHIGUCHI Sari
- studio MSR
- Japan Airport Terminal Co., Ltd
- Takashi Kawashima
- Movie Director: KAWASHIMA Takashi, SHIMMYO Syuta Editor: SHIMMYO Syuta
- Camera Operator: YASHIMA Nobuyuki, YAZAKI Ken
- Recording: KASAI Toshihiko (studio ATLIO)
- Recording Assist: SAWADA Yusuke